Temporary EPA-ID Issuance Website

Welcome to the California Department of Toxic Substances Control's Temporary EPA-ID Issuance System.

In the State of California a business or person must obtain a federal or State EPA-ID number before shipping hazardous waste to a recycler or disposal facility.

The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) issues temporary (good for 90 days) California EPA-ID numbers to generators for the purpose of tracking hazardous waste. The EPA-ID numbers enable regulators to track the waste from its origin to final disposal (“cradle to grave”). Temporary EPA-ID numbers are issued to a person or business that does not routinely generate hazardous waste. Examples of non-routine (not ongoing) activities include asbestos abatement, removing underground tanks, and removing hazardous waste that was abandoned in a leased building. California EPA-ID numbers are site-specific and owner-specific.

You may obtain detailed information about EPA-ID numbers and legal citations (California Code of Regulations and Health and Safety Code) by going to DTSC’s California Identification (EPA-ID) Numbers webpage. Information on existing EPA-ID numbers is available at DTSC's Hazardous Waste Tracking System (HWTS). Click on Reports and then click on the report titled Search for a Company.

A State EPA-ID number can be used if a business or person has no more than 100 kg of federally-regulated waste (RCRA waste), or any amount of a California-only (non-federally) regulated hazardous waste. California-only waste is commonly known as non-RCRA waste. Useful conversion: 100 kg is about 220 pounds which is about 27 gallons of liquid.

If a federal temporary EPA-ID number (otherwise known as a provisional EPA-ID number) is needed the applicant must contact the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in San Francisco at (415) 495-8895.

Prior to applying for a temporary EPA-ID number, you must determine if an active temporary or permanent EPA-ID numbers exists for the generator at the address where the hazardous waste is being generated. Go to our Hazardous Waste Tracking System (HWTS). If an active number exists for the generator at that address, do not apply for another number. If you have any questions, please contact our Telephone Information Center at (800) 618-6942. If you need a permanent California EPA-ID number, you may obtain the application at DTSC's EPA-ID Numbers, Manifests and Fees webpage.

Email validation process

Enter your email address

Reenter your email address